Nordland Lutheran Church
Preliminary steps were taken in 1907 for the building of a church, but it was under the energetic leadership of Rev. Hector Moe in 1908 that the process took on full steam. H. L. Green donated the lots for the church. Building funds of $2,800 were raised. Frank Ohman, Andrew Miller and Nels Gulleson were on the building committee. They procured the services of Mr. Rennix, a resident of Rutland, to build the church. Nordland Lutheran Church was dedicated at Divine Service by the Rev. J.J. Eksem, then President of the Hauge Synod on June 27, 1909. The altar and baptismal font were paid for by the Ladies Aid and installed in the summer of 1916. A furnace was installed in 1926, an oil burning furnace in 1940 and the present system was installed in 1998. Our beautiful art glass windows were installed in 1945. Most of the windows were given and paid for as individual memorials. One was given in memory of departed soldiers, one by the Sons of Norway and two were gifts of the Ladies Aid. The windows were installed by Ben Hensen, Mr. Evenson and C. G. Franzen. The windows have the following symbols: The Cross and Crown, Luther's Coat of Arms, The Baptismal Fountain, Rock of Ages, The Cup of Communion, The Bread of Life, Open Bible, The Lord is My Light, The Ten Commandments, A Mighty Fortress is Our God, The Lamb of God, The Dove, The Anchor Cross and Word, The Lily, Praise Ye the Lord, The Ark, and Hosannah.
The Parish Hall
Plans for constructing a parish hall began in 1952 with Nora Spande, Clara Gulleson, Hannah Christianson, Milda Gulleson, Bertha Berg, Hans Norby, Harry Nundahl and Earl W. Anderson on the Building Committee. B. F. Hensen drew up the plans and specifications. Work began the spring of 1953 under the direction of Mel Bentson with mostly volunteer labor. Total cost was $11,500. Dedication of the parish hall was held on May 16, 1954.
With a growing Sunday School population, an $41,364 addition to the parish hall was made in 1995. It was funded by the Building Fund, donations, memorials, fund raisers and a $20,000 loan. The addition included three classrooms, men's and women's handicap accessible bathrooms, an Altar Guild room and a storage closet. Carpeting in the narthex and church sanctuary was also installed at this time.
In May of 1990, Havana Trinity approached Nordland Lutheran Church in Rutland and a two point parish was formed. (See the separate history of Havana Trinity Lutheran Church.)
For a more detailed history of Nordland Lutheran Church, including pastors, Luther League, see the 100th Anniversary Celebration.
Nordland Cemetery (sometimes called the East Cemetery) was acquired and dedicated in 1887. The original tract was a gift of Jacob Jacobson Hero and was part of his homestead. It included one acre located at the NW 1/4 of Section 28, near the SW corner. This parcel of land was where Jacob and Bertina buried their 7-year-old son, Ole Benjamin, in 1884. Later, Lars Pederson gave 1/2-acre on the south and west of the road. The combined tract was given jointly to the Nordland Congregation and the Swedish Lutheran Congregation, with the provision that the congregation surviving should retain the management and the title of the cemetery. This title was made in 1900 in the name of Nordland congregation and filed at the Sargent County Court House. The cemetery was plotted according to law in 1932 and supplied with markers by Simon Pederson in 1933. Grant Gulleson also donated land for the cemetery.
A perpetual care fund was set up in 1976 for the annual maintenance of the cemetery with an interest-bearing account of $4,000. Directors were: Raymond Erickson, Milton McLaen and Grant Gulleson with Mrs. Walter Bauman as the cemetery's Secretary-Treasurer. The cost of the upkeep of the cemetery has since exceeded the interest earned on the account as well as the principle, and donations to the cemetery fund are welcomed.