Forms & Applications

Below are the common application forms for the City of Rutland. These can be downloaded, printed and completed. If you need further information, please contact City Hall by phone at 701-724-3081 or by email at

Building permit: A building permit is needed for new home construction or garages, sheds and other outbuildings and fences, and enlarged/expanded decks. Decks within the existing footprint (same size), roof replacement, new siding and windows do not require a permit. Complete the application in full, along with a grid diagram of building placement, and submit the form with the appropriate fee to City Hall. Incomplete applications will be returned. Allow a minimum of 14 to 30 days for permit approval. 

The Auditor will review applications to ensure they are within the City's Zoning Ordinance requirements and work directly with the Planning and Zoning Commission. The City Auditor issues construction and building permits, with Mayor or Council President approval, and will strive to assist you with your construction project. Zoning change applications, conditional use permits and variances may require additional fees to defray the cost of advertising and mailing of public hearing notices. 

The city may levy other charges to defray the cost of building inspection, appraisal, preliminary and final plat review, as deemed necessary.

Gaming Permit: Gaming permits are required for any charitable gaming within city limits. This includes raffles, bingo and drawings. Complete the application and submit it to city hall, along with $15 fee per event. Permit numbers are not issued until application and payment is received.

Hall Rental:  The Rutland Community Center/City Hall is available to rent to large and small groups. Rental cost is listed on the application. Call City Hall at 724-3081 to check availability for your gathering.

Pet License: Dogs and cats within City limits require an annual pet license. The completed application can be submitted to City Hall, with payment ($10 per spayed/neutered pet or $15 per non-spayed/neutered pet), before July 1 or $50 per pet after July 1. 

Special Liquor Permit: A special alcohol permit is required to sell alcoholic beverages at special events in the City. Submit the completed application and payment ($20.00) per event to City Hall. Requires a liquor license.

Utility Application Form:  Water/Sewer/Garbage service is provided by the City. To set up service and payment, complete the Utility Application Form and submit it to City Hall. All Rutland residents are required to be connected to City utilities. For automatic bank payment/withdrawal, also complete the ACH Autopay Application Form.

Frequently Asked Questions

What is the process for getting a building permit?

Take a moment to read all required information provided on the form. Then print and fill out the building permit application form and return to city hall.  Should you have any additional questions, please feel free to give us a call or send us an email.  We will be happy to help you.